My Life. Beautiful, Ugly, Unfiltered.
DIY: Laundry Detergent
June 1, 2011Posted by on
I wanted to come up with a clever name for this post…but then I thought, maybe people won’t read it! This is such a great post, and I just can’t risk it! I will admit though, that I am not the person with the original idea, and I must give credit where credit is due. I got my recipe for my detergent at the Save at Home Mom, and you can visit her blog for this recipe as well as other great money saving ideas and freebies.
First of all I have to say, this was one of the fastest recipes I have ever made, including all the food I make and that is saying a lot! You can totally do this, and still get your mommy time in, all while your toddler is taking their very short “I don’t like to take naps anymore” nap.
Enough of that though…let’s get to it!
What you will Need:
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
20 Mule Team Borax
*You can buy all of the above from Harris Teeter or your Local Grocery Store
Goats Milk Soap (Check out my good friend Kathee– she makes it from her live goat’s milk!)
Essential Oil of your choice (I picked Orange…yum-O)- GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or Amazon.com
5 Gallon Bucket with a lid
1. In a saucepan add 4 cups of Hot Water.
2. Set heat to Medium and grate into saucepan 1/2 bar of Fels Naptha soap and 1/2 bar of Goats Milk Soap.
3. Continue stirring until both soaps have melted completely.
4. Fill the 5 gallon bucket half-way with hot water and add in the melted soap mixture.
5. Add 1 cup of the washing soda and 1/2 cup of Borax. Stir until dissolved.
6. Fill the bucket to full with hot water. Stir, and let sit overnight.
7. Once cooled, add 30-40 drops of essential oils and stir.
8. For each load of laundry you will need approximately 1/2 cup.
You can then put it into your laundry dispenser, or you can dip it out of the 5 gallon bucket. I plan to just dip mine out.
And now, for the part you have all been waiting for…the savings!!
|Item||Amount||Conversion||Amount Needed||Uses||Cost||Total Cost Per Make|
|Washing Soda||55oz||6.875 Cups||1 cup||6.5||2.95||0.45|
|Borax||78oz||9.75 Cups||1/2 cup||19.5||4.75||0.24|
|Fels Naptha||I Bar||1/2 Bar||2||1.39||0.69|
|Goats Milk Soap||1 Bar||1/2 Bar||2||0||0|
|Essential Oil||1 oz||600 drops||40 drops||15||4.32||0.28|
|5 Gallon Bucket||unlimited||5.28|
|Detergent Made||5 gallons||80 cups||1/2 cup||160||0.01|
You are reading that correctly!! that is ONE PENNY PER WASH!
I was blessed with the goats milk soap…but pricing it out at $2 a bar at local stores, it still is a savings of $65 per year, when typically I pay approximately .19 per wash with Costco savings on Gain detergent!
Not to mention…no more nasty plastic containers sitting in a landfill